The Best of the Jersey Shore...
East Point Lighthouse
The East Point Lighthouse was built in 1849 at the mouth of the Maurice River, southwest of Heislerville.The lighthouse was blacked out during World War II.The light is the second oldest in New Jersey, and the last existing Jersey light on the shores of the Delaware Bay.
The light has a tower Height of 40 feet
After the war the Coast Guard decided the lighthouse was no longer necessary, and in December, 1941 it was decommissioned. In February, 1971, the Maurice River Historical Society was founded with the goal of restoring the lighthouse. The lighthouse is not open to the public on any regular basis. It is open for the Maurice River Historical Society's Annual Open House the first Saturday in August.
Source Wikipedia Commons - Harriet Duncan
Return to Lighthouse Page
Go to Home Page